Disney simply made a deluge of announcements at its 2020 Investor Day, together with updates on new Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney Animation studios initiatives, in addition to updates on Disney Plus and Disney’s different streaming companies.
Here’s every thing you have to know from the event:
Disney Plus Series
- WandaVision, the primary Marvel Studios present popping out on Disney Plus, received a brand new trailer forward of its upcoming January fifteenth launch date.
- The Falcon and the Winter Solider additionally lastly received a full trailer, together with a March launch date.
- A primary take a look at Loki, Disney’s extremely anticipated brief sequence primarily based on Tom Hiddleston’s god of mischief character. The present additionally received a May 2021 launch date.
- Hawkeye is premiering on Disney Plus in “late Fall 2021.” The studio additionally confirmed that Hailee Steinfeld can be showing within the sequence.
- What If?, an animated sequence from Marvel Studios that options the voice performing forged of many Marvel Cinematic Universe stars, additionally received a brand new trailer that supplied a primary take a look at the upcoming sequence.
- Feige additionally introduced three new sequence coming to Disney Plus: Ironheart, set to star Dominique Thorne engineering protégé Riri Williams; Armor Wars, which examines one of “Tony Stark’s biggest fears” and stars Don Cheadle, who’s reprising his position as Colonel James “Rhodey” Rhodes; and Secret Invasion, the beforehand rumored Nick Fury-led sequence that may see Samuel L. Jackson reprise his position because the SHIELD director alongside Ben Mendelsohn’s Skull shapeshifter Talos. No launch dates for the brand new initiatives have been introduced.
- Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige additionally gave some casting updates on the already introduced Moon Knight, She-Hulk, and Ms. Marvel. Notably, Tatiana Maslany will play the lead position in She-Hulk, with Mark Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner additionally set to look, whereas Ms. Marvel star Iman Vellani’s Kamala Khan will seem in Captain Marvel 2. Feige famous that the reveals will proceed to interweave with the higher Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Marvel Studios is engaged on a brand new Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special for Disney Plus, due out in 2022, that can be directed by James Gunn. The particular will movie alongside the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3, additionally directed by Gunn and set for launch in 2023. There’s additionally I Am Groot, a sequence of brief movies starring Groot.
- Feige confirmed that Black Panther 2 is not going to recast the late Chadwick Boseman’s King T’Challa. The movie, set to be directed by Ryan Coogler, continues to be set for July 2022.
- A 3rd Ant-Man movie, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, is formally in improvement. Peyton Reed will return to direct, as will Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas, and Michelle Pfeiffer. Quantumania may also introduce Jonathan Majors as Kang the Conqueror, one of Marvel’s biggest villains.
- Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness will tie in to each the upcoming Wandavision and Sony and Marvel’s third Spider-Man film. The studio additionally confirmed that Benedict Cumberbatch’s Doctor Strange can be showing within the nonetheless unnamed Spider-Man sequel.
- Finally, Marvel Studios is creating a brand new Fantastic Four film.
Disney not solely introduced that roughly 10 Star Wars sequence are coming to Disney Plus, however it additionally gave some early particulars about a couple of of these sequence and different Star Wars initiatives. Additionally, the ultimate Indiana Jones is now in pre-production and can be launched in July 2022.
Star Wars Disney Plus sequence
Star Wars Movies
- Wonder Woman 1984’s Patty Jenkins can be directing the following Star Wars film, Rogue Squadron, due out in December 2023.
- Disney additionally mentioned the untitled Taiki Waititi Star Wars film, first introduced in May, that had already been in improvement
You can learn extra in regards to the new initiatives in a weblog on Disney’s Star Wars web site.
Disney Animation has loads of initiatives within the works, together with:
- Raya and the Last Dragon premieres on March fifth, 2021 on Disney Plus through Premier Access and in theaters
- Baymax!, a sequence primarily based on Big Hero 6, is arriving in early 2022
- Zootopia Plus, a brand new sequence primarily based on Zootopia, is hitting the streaming service in spring 2022
- Tiana, primarily based on The Princess and The Frog, is premiering on Disney Plus in 2023
- A longform musical comedy sequence for Moana, hitting Disney Plus in 2023
- Encanto, a brand new film set in Colombia with music written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, is in improvement
- Iwaju, an unique longform sequence made in partnership with Kugali Media, is premiering on Disney Plus in 2022
Pixar Disney Plus Series
Pixar additionally introduced some new initiatives for Disney Plus, together with:
- The latest SparkShorts episode, Burrow, arrives on Disney Plus on December twenty fifth
- Pixar Popcorn, shorts that includes iconic Pixar characters, begin streaming in January
- Dug Days, a brand new sequence that includes the beloved canine Dug from Up, premieres in fall 2021
- A Cars sequence, following Lightning McQueen and Mater, is coming to Disney Plus in fall 2022
- Win or Lose, Pixar’s first unique longform animated sequence, is a few center college softball workforce. It’s coming to Disney Plus within the fall of 2023
And Pixar shared new details about films within the pipeline, together with:
- Luca, a film set in Italy a few boy named Luca, will hit theaters in June 2021.
- Lightyear, an origin story for Buzz Lightyear (who can be voiced by Chris Evans), is hitting theaters in summer time 2022
- Turning Red, a few 13-year outdated lady going by puberty that transforms into an enormous crimson panda (sure, actually!) when she will get excited, is in improvement
Noah Hawley, showrunner of Fargo and Legion, can be making a brand new sequence primarily based on the Alien films for FX and Hulu. There’s no launch date introduced but.
Will Smith and Chris Hemsworth will star in sequence for National Geographic
Will Smith and Chris Hemsworth will every star in their very own reveals for National Geographic. Welcome to Earth follows Smith as he “embarks on an awe-inspiring journey to unlock the secrets of this planet’s most extraordinary, unexplained phenomena.” Limitless, starring Chris Hemsworth, explores the bounds of the human physique.
Ice Age is getting a spin-off sequence starring Simon Pegg
Disney is making a brand new Disney Plus spinoff film starring the weasel character from the film sequence, Buck. The film, titled Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild, will star Simon Pegg because the voice of Buck. It’s premiering in early 2022.
Disney Plus is getting its first value hike in March 2021. The per-month value will rise to $7.99 per thirty days, a $1 improve.
Disney to supply Disney Plus, ESPN Plus, and ad-free Hulu in a single bundle for $18.99 per thirty days beginning someday in January. If prospects purchased these companies on their very own, the overall value can be $5.98 extra per thirty days.
Disney Plus now has greater than 86 million subscribers as of December 2nd. The firm reached the determine slightly over a year after the service launched.
Disney unveiled Star, its worldwide substitute for Hulu. The service is launching in sure European nations, Canada, and New Zealand on February twenty third. It’s coming to Japan and South Korea “later in 2021.”
Disney Plus can be getting a complete lot of new content material over the following few years. The firm is bringing “roughly” 10 Marvel sequence, 10 Star Wars sequence, 15 Disney live-action, Disney Animation, and Pixar sequence, and 15 all-new Disney live-action, Disney Animation and Pixar options on to Disney Plus.